donderdag 17 juni 2010

Hard Work June 17th 2010

I wanted to visit the IFCA Slalom Grand Prix by water, so I set out at Paal 9 for the journey upwind. The wind was north/northeast. The IFCA Grand Prix is held at Paal 17, so the maths should say: 8 kilometers upwind. But Texel being Texel, Paal 9 is actually not Paal 9 but Paal 8, so it's 9 kilometers. And the current was head on. I made my upwind legs fairly a long way into the open sea, so for safety I had put on my lifevest and took a flare, some rope and a drink with me (and told the guys at Paal 9 to start the SAR if I did'nt get back by 18.00 hours). I was on my 2009 Falcon 140 with MFC RC 48 cm and choose to rig relatively small with Blade 7,5. It was great sailing that far on the open sea with a good steady breeze of 20-23 knots, blue skies and sunshine. Much to my surprise I was caught on camera coming ashore at Paal 17. You can see it was hard work. Once landed on the beach, I caught up with some competitors, made some smalltalk, drank their water and then raced downwind back to Paal 9. That went a lot quicker.....Tomorrow I'm going to the Kiss Sonic Boom concert in Gelredome and hope to be back on Texel early Saturday to hit the water again.













3 opmerkingen:

  1. Gaaf man! Tochtjes over zee gaan het helemaal worden in 2011! ;-) Beetje voorbereiding en gaan met die Falcon banaan!

    Deze was ook leuk: " drank their water" ;-)

    Mss zondag ff naar de Bol / Hors knallen

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  2. Ja, ik had liever willen schrijven: "drank their beer", maar ja, die wedstrijdsurfers zijn allemaal hele serieuze sportlieden. Ik kon ze alleen hun drinkwater afhandig maken.

    Als je zondag richting gevaarlijke open zee gaat, email / bel met even.

    Greetz,

    Bart

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  3. Ik hou ook wel van een tochtje, laatst waren we ook op de razende bol (volgende keer bellen we wel even ;) )

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen